Friday, February 4, 2011

Vulnerability and Bliss!

By Tammy

Last week I was able to meet some amazing women at The Blissdom Conference held in Nashville, TN at the newly renovated Gaylord Opryland Hotel. From the opening video presentation, to the closing parties, I can truly say “I got my Bliss on.”

Still days have gone by and I’m still in awe at the Opening Keynote given by Dr. Brené Brown, Ph. D. She is a research professor at the University of Houston Graduate School of Social Work. The keynote was on “Vulnerability and Bliss: Exploring the Power of Going Big, Taking Risks, and Being Enough.”

Whoa, this could not hit home any harder! Why are we here…what makes it work? In the social media world, Brené spoke about connection, authenticity, love, belonging, and the kindred-spirit.

Vulnerability elicits fear, scarcity, shame, grief, uncertainty, and worthiness to name a few. But joy is the most vulnerable feeling we feel! She spoke about choosing discomfort over resentment. “Vulnerability is key to loving with our whole-hearts.”

“We are all hard-wired for content. Our stories matter because we matter. We need to own our story and love ourselves thru the process. This is the BRAVEST thing that we will ever do.” To sum it up in Brené fashion: We need to start that long walk from “What will people think?” to “I am enough.”

So it’s got me thinking, how does vulnerability relate to the home remodel process? I’m sure we all can share feelings of vulnerability such as fear when contemplating and/or starting a remodeling project? Or joy when the remodel project is complete? I can throw my hat in the ring here with my flooring remodel project. I’d love to hear your remodel vulnerabilities?

Quotes taken from Opening Keynote: Brené Brown, from “The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed To Be and Be Who You Are.”

No comments:

Post a Comment