Monday, November 29, 2010

Some Ideas About Ideas

By Gale

No matter where I see good ideas, I like to “borrow” them.  I have started to download some images that I found on the internet. And in this era of right-sizing, I am also starting to scan those old magazine clippings that I gathered for the “someday” file. Now they are all in one place on my computer. And I managed to get rid of one nasty pile of papers that have been sitting in the corner of my office for ages.

The strange thing is that some of those ideas are still valid, but strangely enough, many of them look very dated or from another era when money was no object (not that I am ever imprudent with $$$). Styles do change just as colors go in and out of fashion. Remember how hot teal once was? No one talks about it now.

Kitchens are the same way. Open shelf design morphs into closed-door cabinets which give way to glass-fronted doors, and then back to open shelves again. Sometimes it is difficult to keep up, and you may get lucky and sit out one trend, waiting for the pendulum to swing back your way.

My cabinet doors have not stood the test of time and I have been revisiting the idea of removing them to reveal the contents. This will require a good clean-up of the contents and some decisions of how much I really want to reveal. The problem is that my cabinets are placed exactly where I need to store food and serving things. Do I want to reveal the contents or hide them away?

No comments:

Post a Comment